Monday, October 20, 2008

Wikitweedia

Alright, so what does Wikipedia have to offer. The holy ground for information. Many will say their information is flawed; some believe it to be absolute. I, however, as usual, am mildly nonchalant about the wikipedia entry. They say some good things, mention some basics, but I mean, its so mild compared to the Twee as Fuck article I discussed in my second and third posts.

Wikipedia is, in my opinion, good for four things:
1. Random articles. That button is divine. Never would I realize that a bog person is just a person who died and was buried in a bog, thus oddly preserving their body.
2. Quick reference. Talking to someone online and they ask you if you remember the general plot to the Jurassic Park movies (Like you could ever forget; Laura Dern is a babe)? Of course you do! It only takes ten seconds to get the gist of things on Wikipedia.
3. Reasons to celebrate. Nothing says party like the fact that December 5th is Frankie Muniz' birthday. In fact, on this very day of October 20th, I hope someone shares in my pint to celebrate Trafalgar Day!
4. The links. At the bottom of every page, and this is a big one, they have greeeeat outside links. So you just go. To. Town. Link the shit out of whatever Wikipedia article you're reading.
5. That game where you see how many steps it takes from a random article to get to the article about America. I don't know why you'd want to look at America's article for so long, but hey, the game is fun.

All in all, Wikipedia did very little for me in an exploration on twee. However, just like Google did, they attempted to switch me to Indipop, pop music from India. Apparently Indie music and the Indian culture go hand in hand.

Wikipedia. "Indie Pop." Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. 15 Oct. 2008. Retrieved from Wikipedia, on 21 Oct. 2008.

Oh, and check their links!
Today, I am listening to some Magnetic Fields. I feel so drawn in!
Reading Mark Twain,
Joseph C.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Man, I've played that game jumping from link to link forever. I do it with imdb.com too. It's addictive.